Marathon Double Weekend - Woodlands and Alamo
On the March 1 and 2 weekend in 2025, I ran the Woodlands Marathon on Saturday morning and then, afterwards, drove to San Antonia and did the Run the Alamo Marathon on Sunday.
Carbo-loaded the night before at North Italia in the Woodlands. The Woodlands Marathon was a bit more challenging than I anticipated but I think it was because I did the tough trail Outlaw Marathon in Oklahoma a couple weeks before and just don't think my legs had recovered fully. Still broke below 5 hours and was nice to finish another Texas marathon.
Then, drove about 3.5 hours to San Antonio for the Alamo Marathon. Wow - check-in/bib pick-up was so quick and easy. I walked in, didn't wait in a line, grabbed my number and left in a matter of minutes.
I carbo-loaded at a nice Italian restaurant called The Battalion near my hotel. Excellent food.
Now for the twist. I often wear a "cowboy" hat. Even though I grew up on a farm, I hardly wore them. But about 10 years ago when we were living in Idaho it started with a nod toward Motorhead's lead singer Lemmy. But since in Texas, I wear them more often. Not as nice as my Lemmy hat, but I have found a few others that I enjoy wearing. My wife Cori and our daughter Gabi on the other hand think I am a dork (well...for the hat and other reasons).
Anyway, I decided that I was going to wear one of my hats the entire marathon. But a couple weeks ago, a fellow runner Den sent me a link to a story about a guy that ran a full marathon in 2:42 IN JEANS (seven minutes faster than my lifetime best). So, I decided if I am going to wear my hat - let's "Texas this up" so: hat, jeans, blue denim shirt, Texas running shoes (I had never tested longer than 10 miles before), and one of my ultramarathon belts & 100 mile Rodeo-style finish buckle.
Most marathons have a 6 hour cut-off, the Alamo has a 7 hour cut-off. I decided to play it safe and try for a sub-6 hour finish. Into the race, I was actually feeling OK. I think I came around the 10 mile mark at about 4:15 marathon pace. Then the prior races (and my running attire) caught up a bit. I slowed (the route, after crossing right in front of the Alamo, is mostly along the San Antonio River with quite a bit of rolling ups and downs, not mountains or hills, but not exactly flat). Anyway, I slowed to jog/power-walks and came across the finish line in a tad under six hours.



Comments
Post a Comment