Berlin Marathon - Entered!
I am approaching my 68th marathon or longer and hope to complete at least 100 such events. Part of that goal is to include various international marathons, ultramarathons, triathlons or other endurance events in my future. I have completed Ironman Austria, Desaru Half-Ironman in Malaysia, Ironman Canada, and the Ultra Trail du Mont Blanc 100 miler in France, Italy, and Switzerland. My next international challenge is the Berlin Marathon. While I have traveled to Germany quite a bit for work with those past visits being mainly in Bremen, Frankfurt, Grenzach-Wyhlen, and Inzlingen, I have never visited or run in Berlin. I am now excited that running the Berlin marathon will allow me to see and compete in this city. This is especially true as my wife Corinne's family is originally from Berlin.
This marathon trip won't be just for me to run; I am also using it as a fundraiser for a great cause: Achilles International. Since 1983, Achilles has supported athletes with physical challenges all over the world. One of Achilles' Program Partners is RUSK INSTITUTE for REHABILITION MEDICINE. Achilles has two chapters at Rusk and the Brain Injury Day Treatment Program at NYU Medical Center’s Rusk Institute for Rehabilitation Medicine helps people with Traumatic Brain Injuries. Patients who benefit from training for and competing in running events are referred to Achilles International. Achilles also has a chapter within the physical therapy department of Rusk. Several members from both programs attend NYC Chapter workouts and have completed marathons.
This means a lot to me as I suffered from a Traumatic Brain Injury. I underwent multiple brain surgeries and a long rehabilitation process. Below are some images from my TBI.
Helping raise funds for Achilles will allow them to help others who, like me, are rebounding and overcoming injuries, setbacks, and other challenges. Achilles mission is to empower people to celebrate the athlete within. They do this by removing barriers to athletic participation for people with physical limitations and special circumstances, creating a supportive community of athletes and volunteers, and championing inclusion in sports and society. With the help of dedicated members and guides, Achilles has served over 150,000 athletes worldwide. Achilles programs focus on running, but its main objective has always been to bring hope, inspiration, and the joys of achievement to all.
If you like this program's goals and are able to contribute, it will assist me in my Berlin Marathon goal but, more importantly, assist those Achilles athletes. My goal here is to raise as many funds for Achilles as possible. I have started the contributions and will continue, but I am inviting all of you to assist me in reaching my goal.
Thanks so much for your support! The link to contribute to Achilles International is: Alan Geraldi: Ich bin ein Berliner's fundraising page for Achilles International



Comments
Post a Comment