Outlaw 100 Marathon - Oklahoma

 


The Outlaw 100 marathon (in conjunction with the Outlaw 135, Outlaw 100, Outlaw 50, Outlaw Half-Marathon, and Outlaw 5k.) It was held on an off-road vehicle course - this si the description from the race website:
"The Outlaw 100 will take place at Twin Mountains in Kinta, Oklahoma. The course offers a dynamic mix of terrain, including rocky climbs, creek crossings, runnable jeep roads, and steep powerline ascents. Runners will even get the chance to follow a historic stagecoach road. With over 2,000 feet of elevation gain on a 13-mile loop, the course promises to be both fun and challenging."





I managed the 4000-ish feet of climbing for the marathon and brought home a few pounds of dirt and mud. Other than 26 mile segments of certain ultramarathons I have run (Leadville, UTMB, Tahoe Rim), this was the most challenging marathon I have run. I think I claimed Oklahoma as my 21st state with a marathon or longer finish. I ran the Outlaw 100 Marathon. Now only 29 more states to go 😀
Not only did a finish the tough marathon, I ended up with first place! That was my first overall marathon win!
I thought I'd share some of my training and strategies with you padawans in an effort to help you take home a first place too:
1. Shoes: I just traded my Hoka Cliftons road shoes for Hoka Speedgoat 6 trail shoes. They worked great and provide all the traction that I needed for the tough and muddy course.
2. Distance: I ran this marathon in conjunction with races in the 135 miles, 100 mile, 50 miles, 1/2 Marathon, and 5km distance races. That allowed me to judge my pace and intensity against those in other distance to help me decide if I was pushing too hard or not enough.
3. Sleep: I discovered it was a bit overrated because the night before the race, our daughter Gabi's school had her last Father-Daughter dance. I took her and, after the dance, drove the 7 hours to Kinta, Oklahoma, slept for about 3 hours, and then did the race. I admit - I am a bit tired now - but did the 4000 feet of running/slipping/climbing/tripping in the marathon.
4. Training: I have been putting in some long miles lately (in addition to the 8 marathons and 500km race I ran last year). That helped build a solid base.
5. Race Selection: This leads me to the most important factor when attempting to win your own race: once I finished and was handed my medal (a belt buckle on a ribbon) and my plaque I learned the MOST valuable take-away: I was the only runner that registered for the marathon distance that day. 🤣
So, my grasshopper, remember to keep the key race element of being the only entry and no competition be your guide and you, like me, can conquer all others (well...there were no others, but it still is key). That got me First Place and Dead F'ing Last Place in yesterday's marathon. 😁
I am now not sure this counts for my state due to the participant/finisher requirements. Runners had the option of running Saturday and/or Sunday (I was going to run both but with the Father-Daughter dance + the drive couldn't). Could the participants/finishers of both days be combined......or the participants in all marathon or longer distances of the running event be combined? I know there are official rules but the 50 States Marathon Club site appears to be down the last few times I went to check.
Oh well....I'll figure it out (it does appear the ultras and marathon runners can be added together to make this a qualifying state race).


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE LAST ANNUAL VOL STATE ROAD RACE 2026

Berlin Marathon - Entered!

Summer Meltdown 1/2 Marathon