The Maine Marathon - Portland, ME
I had been/visited 49 of the US states and DC. I decided to enter Maine to get my states-visited count to 50. I also entered New Hampshire Marathon for the day before (but because of airline difficulties the Friday before, I missed NH….oh well, that left Maine).
I opted for race morning bib pick-up. I got there early as they did allow an early start and I had broken my left foot pinky two 10 days earlier so I was a bit concerned. But after I got my bib, I decided to just stay in the official start time.
The crowd was a bit larger than I expected but still easy to find a spot. I saw a few pacers – from 3+ hours to 5+ hours. I decided to stand next to a 4:45 pacer but never latched on or ran with that pacer.
The gun went off and we started running. As usual, it was a bit crowded at the start and it took me a bit of time to cross the starting mat. We ran along the shore. Weather was cool – but very comfortable (actually, almost perfect running weather for me).
First part of the course was mostly flat but then we started a small series of “rollers” that continued to the 1/2 way turn-around point (and back). The run took us through quaint neighborhoods, farm areas, and some wooded areas. Crowd support was almost constant and the aid stations well staffed. Volunteers were great.
I hit the 1/2 marathon at around 2 hours and was satisfied. My broken toe hadn’t bothered me too much. I decided to mix jogging and fast walking at around mile 14-15. I continued that way.
I chatted with other runners and was enjoying the race. At mile 25.75 I was looking at my pace, estimated the time it took me from start gun to cross the start pad, and estimated the times I stretched my legs at about 3 water aid stations and thought I had 5 hours in sight. I crossed the finish line in 5:00:18….close enough.
All in all, a very good race, very well organized, great volunteers and a beautiful location. Plus it got me my 50th state visited and 20th state with a marathon or longer finish.



Comments
Post a Comment